Carrot cake is widely beloved, and carrot cake cupcakes are a very tasty treat as well! In fact, there are many types of pastries where carrot is the main ingredient. There are carrot cakes, cookies, cupcakes, breads and even fillings! They are healthy and delicious so what more could you ask for?
Here is a special carrot cake cupcake recipe because it has cream cheese frosting. This was one of my favorite treats made by my grandma and she passed down the recipe to me as soon as I was old enough to bake.
Ingredients and Whatnot
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup oil (preferably vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest or juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 1 and a half cup grated or shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or almonds (any nut of your choice)
- ¼ cup shredded coconut (optional for garnish)
- 1 bar cream cheese in room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- This recipe will make 12 cupcakes so you just need one standard sized cupcake pan. Oil the pan and place your cupcake or muffin liners.
- In a bowl, mix your white sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, oil and eggs.
- Stir in your baking powder, salt, baking soda and flour. After that has been thoroughly mixed, you can now add your carrots, choice of nuts and some of the coconut. Leave some of the coconut for toppings.
- Evenly distribute the batter in your cupcake pans and bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Usually it will take 15 - 20 minutes. Cool the cupcakes first before frosting.
- While cooling the cupcakes, you may now prepare your frosting. In a mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to make your bar of cream cheese fluffy. Once it is fluffy, add in the powdered sugar and then some vanilla extract as well. Use a wire whisk to mix it until it is smooth.
- Apply your frosting and garnish with the left over coconut shreds.
Make sure that you use fresh carrots because they taste better. Don’t shred the carrots the night before baking because it will become too juicy and carrot bits won’t appear on the cupcakes anymore. It is much more pleasing to the taste if there are carrot bits. If you don’t have coconuts, you can substitute it with raisins or add in more nuts.
If you don’t like cream cheese as your frosting, you can use regular butter icing or better yet, you can use white chocolate frosting. Dark chocolate is encouraged but you can use it as a topping to your icing. The recipe for this cupcake is also the recipe for the carrot bread. Simply use the batter and place it on a bread pan and bake it there. Last but not the least, you can choose a variety of nuts to mix on your recipe. Walnuts and almonds are not the only choices! Some even find pistachios as a nice choice.